Overheard (v. 4)Overheard — By Joe Carter on September 20, 2005 at 1:05 am
“The trend among college women has prompted some sexual behavior experts to light-heartedly refer to the term ‘LUG,’ or ‘lesbian until graduation.”
– Craig Kinsley, a neuroscientist at the University of Richmond who studies the biology of sexual orientation and gender, discussing a a CDCP report that 11.5 percent of women, ages 18 to 44, said they’ve had at least one sexual experience with another woman in their lifetimes.
“If scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims.”
– From the prologue of the Dalai Lama’s new book, “The Universe in a Single Atom.”
“You’ve got your own demons to live with. I’m not going to judge you.”
– New Orleans police Captain Eddie Hosli — who had only 30 out of his 120 officers reported for duty the day after Hurricane Katrina ravaged the city — to the AWOL officers who began trickling back to work after being promised five expenses-paid days in Las Vegas.
“New Orleans is a party town. Get over it.”
– New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin when asked why nearly 60 percent of the force was going to be relaxing in Sin City rather than searching for survivors.
“George Bush doesn’t care about black people!”
– Rapper Kanye West during a live hurricane relief telethon.
“George Bush hates midgets.”
– Comedian Chris Rock during a live hurricane relief telethon.
“The government should give us what we need, otherwise I will grab him by the collar, and he will grab the government by the collar.”
– Baba Din talking about the candidate he plans to vote in Afghanistan’s first free election in 35 years.
“You know, when I first said that I wanted to put together a late-night comedy writing team that would only be 80 percent Ivy League-educated Jews, people thought I was crazy.”
– Comedian Jon Stewart accepting an Emmy Award for Outstanding Writing for a Variety, Music or Comedy Program.
“In a recent interview [British politician George Galloway] made opprobrious remarks about the state of my midriff, which I will confess has-as P.G. Wodehouse himself once phrased it-”slipped down to the mezzanine floor.” In reply I do not wish to stoop. Those of us who revere the vagina are committed to defend it against the very idea that it is a mouth or has teeth. Study the photographs of Galloway from Syrian state television, however, and you will see how unwise and incautious it is for such a hideous person to resort to personal remarks. Unkind nature, which could have made a perfectly good butt out of his face, has spoiled the whole effect by taking an a**hole and studding it with ill-brushed fangs.”
– Leftist pundit Christopher Hitchens, preparing to debate Galloway on the Iraq War.
“The Prayer of Jabez by Bruce Wilkinson, one of the best-selling non-fiction books in the past ten years, has gutted China’s house church movement, say observers. “Chinese Christians used to sacrifice everything for Christ. Now they only want God to bless them,” says one Chinese elder who has served five prison terms for planting churches. He and others say China’s Christians have “grown soft with navel-gazing” and have lost their tolerance for persecution.”
– From “Jabez book devastates China house churches” in the Lark News.