33 Things: The Week’s Amusing & Intriguing LinksThirty Three Things — By Robin Dembroff on April 30, 2010 at 12:02 am
1. ‘Uncanny Valley’–why human androids are doomed to be social outcasts.
2. It’s a shame the US dollar is so ugly. Once in a while, artists like to dream about what it might look like, if it were pretty.
So, forgive me if I don’t take too seriously the complaint that younger conservative intellectuals have been locked out by the old guard. I’m sure there’s some talent out there deserving more attention and exposure (just as I’m convinced that there’s some young talent out there that maybe could have spent some more time in the minors). But that is hardly a new story. And, for the record, I’ve edited a book of essays containing only young conservative writers most of you have never heard of, so I’m trying to do my part. More on that later.
5. Ethical consumerism, or how to know who made what you buy, where it came from, and if it hurt anyone for you to get it (and then do something about it!):
6. How rich are you in comparison to the rest of the world?
7. Struggle with being a grammar Nazi? Here’s a clever way to deal with it.
10. Craigslist — the global gateway to your dream job.
11. Wil Wheaton’s Shopping Woes.
12. Support your local police…read their blogs!
13. Happy 20th, Hubble!
14. Adventure, Romance, Mad Science: it’s Girl Genius!
15. Why “whole food” is a privileged fetish.
16. Think the so-called Dark Ages can’t teach us anything about our modern world? Think again.
17. Oh, to be British, have a one-month election cycle, and news sources that make it easy to find out what each party’s platform says about the issues!
19. As one commenter put it: “Prettier girls marry richer guys? What a totally unexpected finding.”
To parent like Zebedee is to teach your children about God so that they can recognize his voice when he calls. It is to provide vision and point them toward God and let them follow him, even when he takes them away from your protection and plans for them. And that may hurt – it certainly hurt Zebedee deeply. The call of God cost him not only his plans for the family business but his son’s life as well (Acts 12:1-2). You can be sure, though, that his pain was tempered by incredible pride in his sons.
23. What kind of country are we? This kind:
‘I must tell them and must not be afraid. Do you know,’ he said in a voice suddenly sharp, ‘what would have happened if Americans had done this kind of attack in my country? Every American — every Christian, every non-Muslim — would have been slaughtered, blood would have run in the streets. I know the kind of country this is. Thanks be to God I can give this to my children.’ ”
24. I don’t know what they’re saying, but this creepy onigiri lady freaks me out:
25. Jesus never read the New Testament…think about it…
26. Forget Dolphins, the Cool Kids Swim with Elephant Seals–the cutest thing you’ll see all week.
27. One of the strangest places in Los Angeles: the Museum of Jurassic Technology.
29. Pac-Man Pie Chart. Just in case it wasn’t clear.
31. When a movie that’s just good fun isn’t.
32. Goodbye, Phoenix
33. In case you find yourself hurtling towards earth from the seat that used to be in a plane, here’s how to survive the crash. ‘