“Indeed, as the church seeks a role in the arts, it must reclaim a
more mature concept of beauty. As we recognize and embrace the
heartlonging in many works of art, we may make a convincing
proclamation of the whole gospel message. Finding a way to the full
expression of beauty, however, is a challenge. The danger is beauty’s
menacing half-sister, sentimentality. How does sentimentality work
against beauty? And further, how does sentimentality work against the
2. Morgan Robertson wrote a short story based upon the famous sinking of the Titanic…14 years before it happened!
4. “If a society had no knowledge of Christianity, and then a Bible were discovered, what would happen?” A manly action-adventure novel, that’s what.
5. Watching the new Doctor Who series? (The season finale airs Saturday on BBC America!) So are these guys, and they’re writing about what makes scifi great: it’s ability to explore religion, philosophy, ethics, and other huge topics in a way no other genre can.
6. A new kind of colon
7. Reading as self-completion
8. Listen to Faulkner on reading and writing
9. What unites the Right and the Left on the new financial reform package? Trying to stop the war against women in the Congo.
10. Ever wonder if our system of voting is the best there’s been? So did Anthony Gottlieb.
11. Smart girls have more fun
12. The beginning of the end
13. Business motivations: they’re not what we think they are. That’s why Linux, Apple, and Skype succeed.
14. Labeling Things: It’s Important
Many have asked me previously “How can you teach younger kids about apologetics and defending the faith?” Well, here’s one good way. I’ve taken my family on a vacation touring the American Southwest. Along with a rich look at our heritage, I’m finding many opportunities to examine worldviews and the way that they shape people’s attitudes. I’ll be blogging about my experiences and observations as we go, allowing you to come with us and see ways you can also discuss ideas with your families and friends.
19. The trashed airbender: give him more tomatoes.
So next time you hear in the news or in a movie an Arabic guy saying “Praise be to God,” remember he may just be saying “Great, the electricity is back.”
26. Book art:
27. Popular porcupine, or ugly puppy? You decide.
31. This is for all of you who’ve ever wondered what a fugue looks like. You know who you are.